"Only I Can Coke Rap This Glamorous"

https://www.breezejmu.org/culture/pusha-t-comes-back-strong-on-daytona/article_bd43da7a-6410-11e8-afc9-f3a2b9a4c9b4.html
A couple months ago, I came on this platform and made the assertion that J. Cole was so far and away above the rest of the rap game it wasn't close. I made the point that Cole had become so comfortable in his position that it was clear he was rapping in a pocket which is only accessed when an artist knows they have no real competition.

I'm here today to let y'all know I spoke too soon.

Now, although I do still hold the overall belief that Cole is number 1 in the game today, I was wrong to suggest it's a landslide. Now, please don't get it twisted; he's still head and shoulders above your favourite rapper. However, he ain't alone anymore.

Since I wrote that article two months ago Pusha T has gone on an absolutely magnificent run of bodying any, and every beat put before him.

In just over 6 weeks, President Push has provided hall of fame features for Goldlink, Benny the Butcher, Freddie Gibbs, YBN Cordae and culminated this rune with a stellar feature on Rick Ross' Maybach Music VI (although this verse has been omitted from the official song release, but it has shut down twitter ICYMI).

What Push has done on this run, is nothing short of remarkable. With no disrespect to the rappers mentioned, Pusha T arguably had the best verse on all the concurring albums on which his verses featured. 

These verses, all be it features, come from that same pocket I mentioned Cole was in. And what's even more impressive with Push, is that this is nothing new. Rather, Push is simply picking up where he left off from last year. He has a line on Daytona from the song "Come Back Baby" which reads 'who else got the luxury to drop when he want cause nobody else cam fuck with me' . He's lived that in his verses this year. He no doubt respects all the rappers I listed earlier, but that didn't stop him from letting them know there's level to this.

https://djbooth.net/features/2018-05-10-push-t-best-solo-songs-ranked
What's even more special about this recent run for me is the content. Yes, for the most part it's that coke rap that Pusha T spits so well - hence the title of this piece - however this time, there's a difference. It's more menacing. It's darker. It's eerier. Its Pusha T. 

Now, by all accounts Pusha T is truly living a comfortable and happy life, but the content and the feel of his lyrics recently resembles someone just starting out on the come up. That in itself, is a skill very few have and are able to conjure up. If you haven't already, I suggest you go and listen to his verse on Freddie Gibbs' track "Palmolive" and see if that sounds a like a happily married president of a label.

Ultimately, I write all this to say, I didn't know Pusha T had a higher level to go to, but he seems to have reached another tier, even one above the peak he reached on Daytona. I'm extremely excited to see what else Push has in the tuck for the final quarter of this year. And it's fair to say I was wrong. Cole has competition for the title now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sue Me, I'm Rooting for Everybody That's Black"

“We Learned to Our Amazement the Untold Tale of Scandal”

“Over a Decade & Never Nobody’s Favorite”