"All Up In The Bank With The Funny Face"


So, let me start with a full confession.

I ain't never won a Grammy. I haven't had a number 1 single. Or a number 1 album. And I don't truly know the work it takes to even put out a song.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/745134700824830189/

However, what I am is a fan. I’m someone who’s been a fan of Hip-hop, and music in general, for as long as I can remember. I've listened to more music than I care to remember, and I've forgotten more lyrics than most people know. So as a fan, I do feel qualified to express what I feel artists need to do in order to connect with fans they’ve lost.
So with all that being said, here a few short words of advice I would give to Nicki Minaj in order for her to regain fans like me that she may have lost along the way.


#1:
Remember that she’s Nicki f**king Minaj.
This is undoubtedly, the most important thing Nicki NEEDS to do. She has to remember who TF she is.


She isn't some new up and coming artist. She isn't some one hit wonder. And she isn’t some middle of the road rapper who needs to follow the flow of the Game. Nah. She is one of the greatest female rappers of all-time. She’s set records, she’s broken down doors, she’s a great lyricist. And to put it plainly; in this period of lists that social media has been on lately, she’s one of the greatest rappers of all-time.


She's needs to remember, she’s the woman Lil' Wayne handpicked to be one of the Leaders of YMCMB. She's the woman that for a number of years sat on top of the throne as one of the top 5 rappers on the planet.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oOQmDJ

And that leads me to point #2:
Forget about all these other rappers and commentators who aren't Nicki Minaj.
I've become so sick and tired in recent years of hopping online and seeing Nicki saying something concerning artists who shouldn't even matter to her. As a famous rapper who will go unnamed once said “there’s levels to this sh*t”. And Nicki needs to stop concerning herself with people who aren’t in her level.


Look, I love Cardi B, hands down she's one of my favourite rappers in the game today. She shouldn’t be a concern to Nicki Minaj. Cardi doesn’t need to be on Nicki’s radar. Nicki shouldn't concern herself with the package deals Travis Scott is rolling out. And she definitely doesn’t need to be going on the Joe Budden Podcast to call Rick Ross a “Fat Motherf*cker”.
What I believe she needs to do is center herself on her art.


So, I admit I'm clearly under qualified to be giving any artist, any advice on what it takes to be successful.


She's THAT rookie, who in 2010 jumped on a track with Rick Ross, Jay Z and Kanye West (all in their prime and at the peak of their powers) and had the hardest and most memorable verse on the song. In fact, we can take it a step further and say she had THE most memorable verse on Kanye's Hall of Fame Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy'.

She just needs to remember, She's Nicki Minaj.


Nicki is blessed to have one of the widest, wildest and supportive fan-bases in Hip-hop. Cater to them. Don't go chasing the sound that's out right now like she tried on 'Megatron' and 'Chun Li'. Create the sound, shape the culture like she did in the first half of this decade.
Remind people like me who doubt you, that you're still the best at what you do. And more importantly remind yourself of just who the hell you are. And get back to being that woman who blew everyone in the game away by hopping on tracks and being a "MOTHERFUCKING MONSTER".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sue Me, I'm Rooting for Everybody That's Black"

“We Learned to Our Amazement the Untold Tale of Scandal”

“Over a Decade & Never Nobody’s Favorite”