"Cause When I'm All Alone, Feel Like No One Care"

I'm routinely asked questions as to how I manage to stay so calm and stress free. At the same time, I'm frequently asked what I do to decompress and to relax and my answer is always the same.

I sit down and listen to Music.

Now most people in my circles understand this. But a lot of others seem confused as how that can be the only, or at least the main remedy I need to keep sane. In this current climate where everyone is so cognizant of their mental health and everyone has their own therapeutic practices, I thought I'd provide a little insight into why Hip-hop serves as such a good therapist to me personally.
https://www.billboard.com/
Firstly, its accessible. No appointments, no waiting in line, no delays. It's always right there at my grasp. If I ever need to hear Meek Mill 'Trauma' I just need to open Spotify or call on Alexa and there it is.

Secondly, it’s easy to envision myself in the place of the artist. One of the best qualities about hip-hop, is that it's a black dominated sport, no matter how fearful some are of white artists. With that, one of the biggest criticisms of organized therapy I hear from my peers is, "how is this white woman gonna sit there and talk to me about my problems?"
Now, of course this is a vast over-exaggeration of the field. But there is still value in the sentiment. Why would one subject themselves to the stereotypical "so how does that make you feel?" question from a middle-aged white woman, when Pusha-T saying "they prayin’ for jail, but I mastered the pen" sums up your mentality so perfectly. Why spend resources you may not have on therapy when hearing Kanye West say, “man I promise, I’m so self-conscious”, was enough to help you recognize your own social anxiety problems. Now, please do not take this as me diminishing therapy, but just understand the importance that hip-hop can play in acting as a therapeutic practice.

Now, me personally, I haven't dealt with even an 8th
 of what Meek Mill has in his life, but when he states "I only remember nights that was post-traumatic", I completely understand what he's saying. When Scarface said, "Having fatal, thoughts of suicide, bang and get it over with, and then I'm worry-free, but that some bullshit." That line, and the whole of "My Mind Playing Tricks on Me", really speaks directly to the dark thoughts that arise out of paranoia and anxiety. Thus, to hear such deep and difficult issues summed up and conceptualized in a song helps to make them feel more manageable and altogether less destructive.

Now, to close I will say AGAIN: DO NOT NEGLECT ACTUAL THERAPY! If you know or believe it helps you, or even if you're unsure whether it can help please talk to people. Do not isolate yourself.

But, whether it be; "That's not all, MCs have the gall, to pray and pray for my downfall", "in order to survive gotta learn to live with regrets", "I've got some issue that nobody can see, and all of these emotions are pouring out of me", "Suicidal Thoughts" by Biggie or "2009" by Mac Miller. Mental Health has always been a central topic discussed and expressed within Hip-hop and if you're ever in the need for comfort and would like to hear a familiar voice speak directly to your situation, I would implore you to turn to some of your favourite artists and I'm sure they'll have something for you. Even if only a temporary fix.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sue Me, I'm Rooting for Everybody That's Black"

“We Learned to Our Amazement the Untold Tale of Scandal”

“Over a Decade & Never Nobody’s Favorite”