All-Decade First Team


My Favourite Rap Albums of the Decade:


As we come to the end of 2019 and of course the beginning of a new decade, I felt it appropriate to do some reflecting on what has been a monumental ten years in the world of music. And in line with the trend of this year and this season, I felt it only right to do a list. So in my reflections, I have compiled a list of my favourite rap albums of the decade.

First, some context on my selection process: I decided to only select one album per artist. Now this was mainly to challenge myself and really force myself to be critical in differentiating the albums I liked, from the albums I loved...alongside that, I'm sure many of wouldn't have appreciated me compiling a list of albums consisting of just two artists (you get extra point if you can guess the two). However, collaboration album do not count as part of the one album per artist. Additionally, there will be no mixtapes on this list, this is strictly for albums. To that point, I have taken mixtapes to include anything officially listed as a mixtape, and any project which the artists themselves label as a mixtape. Furthermore, I also decided to omit all rap albums which were released in 2019. Although 2019 does fall within this decade, I felt it would be better to separate those projects, as so many of them are still so new and fresh in the memory. Finally, I want to be clear, this is not a list of the best albums over the past 10 years. I don't feel I have the credentials to compile that list. This is merely a compilation of the sounds, voices and people who helped shape me between the ages of 12 & 22.

#15:
Album:                                    PRhyme (Deluxe Version)
Artist:                                      PRhyme (DJ Premier & Royce da 5’9)
Year:                                        2015
Favourite Song:                      To Me, To You ft. Jay Electronica
Memorable Line:                   “How I feel about these rap niggas? Fuck 'em all, Drake rhyme
   about these bitches, I just fuck 'em all”
Description:

The best hip-hop producer of all-time teamed up with one of the best lyricists of all-time and produced a masterclass. I love this project simply because its hip-hop in its rawest form. The production is really minimalist and yet it still finds a way to be exceptional. And that in turn, is complimented by Royce and an array of rappers who’s lyrics and wordplay throughout this project are anything but minimal. This album possesses so much replay value as the pair packed so much content and a lot of great songs and verses into what feels like such a short space of time. Furthermore, this album marks the beginning of a run which I believe cements Royce as one of the top 5 rappers in the world. 


#14

Album:                                    Dirty Sprite 2 (DS2)
Artist:                                      Future
Year:                                        2015
Favourite Song:                      Stick Talk
Memorable Line:                  “I just fucked your bitch in some Gucci Flip-flops”
Description:
Although WATTBA would follow later in the year, DS2 signaled the culmination and the pinnacle of the Hall of Fame run, which put Future at the top of rap. The album that made me a fan as it was hit, after hit, after hit. And with that now infamous first line, Future put me and the whole world on notice as to what we were about to be exposed to. Since this album has come out every song has at one time been my favourite, and I have no doubt that by my next listen I'll have a new favourite.


#13
Album:                                    Made in the Manor
Artist:                                      Kano
Year:                                        2016
Favourite Song:                      This is England
Memorable Line:                   "Stealing a living with your sticky fingers, Crossing that pond and                                                          fishing for hits, We both gain from a little influence, But how comes                                                       nobody credits us Brits?"
Description:
UP until the middle years of this decade I had really stopped listening to British music. For whatever reason I fell completely out of love with it. And while the emergence of artists like J hus, MoStack and Dave, coupled with good projects like JME’s “Integrity”, began to slowly bring me back. This was the album that made me fall back in love with my country’s music scene. Being the first Kano album, I listened to in full, I finally understood why my older brother would go crazy over this guy when we were growing up. Although some of you may only know him as Sully from Top Boy. Kano produced an album which reminded me and felt like just another day in the hoods of England. With moments of Grime mixed in with points of pure rap from an English perspective. Simply put, Made in the Manor saw arguably the Greatest British Rapper of All-Time produce an album which stands up against any rap album released from any part of the world.

#12
Album:                                    Teflon Don
Artist:                                      Rick Ross
Year:                                        2010
Favourite Song:                      Free Mason
Memorable Line:                   "It’s amazing, that I made it through the maze that I was in, Lord                                                            forgive me, I never would've made it without sin" (Jay-Z).
Description:
One of the greatest of all time, producing his best album (POM2 is up there chasing). I mean, I don’t really know what to say. As I’ve said before, arguably the most consistent rapper of the decade, kicked off the decade with his best project. 49 minutes of straight hits, great songs and some outstanding production. Features from Jay-Z, CeeLo Green, Kanye West, Trey Songz and of course the classic song that was Aston Martin Music with Drake. Arguably Ross at his best as an artist, this was the album that for me, put him into my top tier of rappers, and he didn’t look back.





#11
Album:                                    Oxymoron
Artist:                                      ScHoolboy Q
Year:                                        2014
Favourite Song:                      Hoover Street
Memorable Line:                  “Hello, hello, fuck rap, my daddy a gangsta”
Description:
I remember personally, being hyped for months waiting for this album. With every delay and push back of the release date, my excitement and anticipation of the album just grew and grew. And then it dropped. And that opening line was reloaded a few too many times. Hearing ScHoolboy Q’s daughter who at that point was no older than six, scream “fuck rap, my daddy a gangsta” made it instantly clear where Q was going. Personally, I always have an affinity for albums which, I feel, allow me to experience places, scenes and circumstances which I’ve never before encountered, and Oxymoron does just that. Like most of the rappers on TDE Q showed an ability to paint a scene which allowed the listener to picture themselves walking around South Central LA with him. A great album which has stood the test of time and highlighted the rap superstar ScHoolboy Q was about to become.

#10
Album:                                    Flower Boy
Artist:                                      Tyler, The Creator
Year:                                        2017
Favourite Song:                      Where This Flower Blooms
Memorable Line:                   "Next line, I'll have em' like woah, I've been kissing white boys since 2004"
Description:
What a transition. And what an album this is. Whenever an album makes me a fan of an artist I had previously hated, you know there's something special about it. Other than the sole song “Yonkers” I had never been a Tyler, the Creator fan. Until this album came out. Dropping on my birthday, this was a perfect summer album. I played this in car journeys, in my headphones and when on the aux. And in all three phases of the game the album slapped. A complete 180 from the sound which I had known Tyler to have, I still can’t stop listening to this album. The production was flawless, all the features fit perfectly, and Tyler was in his bag.

#9
Album:                                    The Album About Nothing
Artist:                                      Wale
Year:                                        2015
Favourite Song:                      The Intro About Nothing.
Memorable Line:                    "As time proceeds, preoccupied with everything, I think its bout time I                                                     sing of nothing"
Description:
The Album About Nothing, truly served as my album about everything. Although I was drawn to this album originally by the amazing intro and the creativity of the Seinfeld skits which Wale does so well, dating back to 'The Mixtape About Nothing'. What really made me continually go back to this album were the life lesson. And trust me there’s a lot. How to navigate new relationships, the ills of having business dealings with friends and processing growth and new and emerging situations in life. Whilst it feels like he wasn’t even trying, Wale was effortlessly able to stumble upon a classic album, which I have no doubt will live on strong into the next decade.

#8
Album:                                    4:44
Artist:                                      JAY Z
Year:                                        2017
Favourite Song:                      The Story of OJ
Memorable Line:                  “I don’t even know what you would’ve done, in the future another nigga playing football with your son”
Description:
No word of a lie. The first time I listened to this album, I was on a train heading up to Uni to clear out my room. And when Hov uttered that line, I forgot where I was and literally screamed. Like the whole carriage heard me. The ticket inspector looked at me nuts. But that moment was really a microcosm of this whole album for me. Like I envisioned a lot of potential outcomes for this album, but I could have never envisioned that which we got. This man at 47 years old really produced an album that can very easily be argued as the best of his now 23 year career. 4:44 was undeniably a top album of that year and continued to cement Hov's place at the epicenter of the Hip-hop ecosystem. More to the point, it was an extremely introspective album which teaches so many critical life lessons that I’m just glad I was provided the opportunity to listen.

#7
Album:                                    Nothing Was The Same
Artist:                                      Drake
Year:                                        2013
Favourite Song:                      Tuscan Leather
Memorable Line:                    "Took a while, got the jokers outta the deck now, I'm holding all the
                                                    cards and niggas wanna play chess now"
Description:
This really could’ve been Take Care. And if I was writing in objective terms, this probably would have been Take Care. However, I picked Nothing was the Same over Take Care for a reason. As I explained in a prior blog post, NWTS was really the last time the rapper that I know as Drake, was really Drake for a full project. For me, whenever I listen to this album, I’m just reminded of the fall off, that I’ve seen in Drake’s career. Not necessarily in terms of output, or his ability to make hits, but in his artistry and delivery of a great album. Now nostalgia aside, this is a classic album in itself. Started from the Bottom had us going was the anthem throughout 2013. The way he, Big Sean and 2 Chainz all floated on that All Me beat was so effortless. And then what an opening. As I have stated so many times to anyone who will listen, that bag Drake gets into on Tuscan Leather, is just different. A great album, by one of, if not the artist of the decade.


#6
Album:                                    The Sun’s Tirade
Artist:                                      Isaiah Rashad
Year:                                        2016
Favourite Song:                      Tity and Dolla ft. Hugh Augustine & Jay Rock.
Memorable Line:                   "Lord, I-I can't feel the joy, I-I cant't fill the void, let 'em fill the void,                                                      Too-too young to ignore"
Description:
This is why I’m patient with artists. This album taught me patience. I waited nearly 3 years for this album. And there was no disappointment. Isaiah Rashad took his time, waited out the process and delivered. If you haven’t listened to this album, in short, it’s a vibe. Isaiah has his own specific flow, which works perfectly on his beat selection and with his content. I've always been drawn to manner in which Rashad mixes his southern flow, voice, lyrics and content with the more traditional boom-bap sound of hip-hop. I found found this album supremely relatable. Rashad touched upon the ills of depression, childhood struggles and the issues of coming up in the rap game. To me, Isaiah Rashad masterfully simplifies a lot of complex issues into digestible chunks all which makes for an album which has never left my rotation and probably never will.

#5
Album:                                    Daytona
Artist:                                      Pusha-T
Year:                                        2018
Favourite Song:                      Come Back Baby
Memorable Line:                   “This ain’t for the conscious, this is for the mud made monsters”
Description:
Cockiness personified. Luxury Rap at its finest. And the Coke bars are timeless, as always. Now in selecting this album, I also include Drake’s “Duppy Freestyle” and Pusha-T’s subsequent response on “The Story of Adidon”, as a part of this album. And I know that doesn’t really make sense, but this is my list. Not yours. This album really marked a moment in time. I remember first listening to this and feeling like time just stood still. It was truly one of those moments where it felt like everyone was counting down to May 25th in anticipation of what this 7 song Kanye West directed project would deliver, and it did not disappoint. Then, when we add in all the extra which came with the Drake feud, the excellence of this album and the moment it created is elevated even further. Not only was Pusha-T in impeccable form, Kanye West turned back into K.West Beasts and was at his producing best. And those elements put together combined to make a truly timeless album. It’s a musical flex as Pusha T was more arrogant in his success and ability than ever before and showed all who were willing to listen that no one could fuck with him.

#4
Album:                                    4 Your Eyez Only
Artist:                                      J. Cole
Year:                                        2016
Favourite Song:                      Changes
Memorable Line:                  “My intuition is telling me they’ll be better days”
Description:
It may come as a shock to a lot of people that this is my favourite J. Cole album. In reality, KOD, Born Sinner and 2014 Forest Hills Drive could all have EASILY occupied this same spot. But I sided with 4 Your Eyez Only for a reason. Listening through the story that Cole told on this tape was therapeutic. The way in which he painted this portrait of life was truly a musical masterclass and displays a skill that very few actually possess. And also, I think the Love-Hate nature of this album adds to why I love it so much. It speaks to the relationship which a lot of casual fans have with J. Cole, were if they don’t get J. Cole on their specific terms, they brand him and the music in question as trash. All the while Cole continues to operate solely on his terms and makes the music and the sound he chooses to make, at the time and at the clip which he chooses to make it. And doing so allowed him to elevate above his competition and become, in my estimation, the best rapper in the gameAnd when it comes out as soulful, thought-provoking and poetic as this, I can’t help but Stan.

#3
Album:                                    Watch The Throne
Artist:                                      The Throne (Kanye West & Jay Z)
Year:                                        2011
Favourite Song:                      Murder to Excellence
Memorable Line:                  Five Passports I’m Never Going Jail/I Made Jesus Walks so I’m Never going to hell”
Description:
I remember listening to this album together along with everyone else on Twitter in August 2011. This album was an instant classic from the moment it was announced. You had, by far, the two best rappers on the planet and two of the greatest of all-time joining forces to push one another to a higher level than I envisioned was possible. The high points on this album are unprecedented, and this album left a dent on music and me personally. Niggas in Paris went off. Otis was rap at its best. And then hearing these two men address some of the most pressing social issues in America on Murder to Excellence and really all throughout the album, was amazing. This is truly two rappers on the top of their game showing that no one can compete with either of them and boy was it a fun ride.



#2
Album:                                    good kid, m.A.A.d city
Artist:                                      Kendrick Lamar
Year:                                        2012
Favourite Song:                      good kid
Memorable Line:                   "A fatal attraction is common, and what we have common is pain"
Description:
Wow. Wow. Wow. And Wow.
From the moment the beat first dropped on “Sherane” I knew this was something different. Whether this was your first time hearing Kendrick Lamar, or whether you had been familiar with him from Section.80 and the K.Dot days prior. TDE’s Top Dawg really put the whole world on notice with this album. For me personally, I felt like I was watching a motion picture in word form, and that is all down to Kendrick’s excellence. Whether it be hard-hitting beat on “backseat freestyle”, the deep story seeping through “Sing About Me”, or the array of Mosh Pits had to “m.A.A.d city”. good kid m.A.A.d city represents elite level rapping, unbelievable story-telling and hip-hop at its best. This album was a signal to the world that a new king was on the scene and it didn’t take Kendrick long to be in the discussion for greatest of all time.




#1
Album:                                    My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Artist:                                      Kanye West
Year:                                        2010
Favourite Song:                      Lost in the World
Memorable Line:                  “The plan was to drink until the pain over, but what’s worse, the pain or the hangover”

Description:
If you know me even a little. This is no surprise. You knew this was coming, cause it’s the only album that could go here. The greatest album I’ve ever heard. And EASILY, the greatest album of the decade. Honestly, for me November 22nd has become a national holiday. Kanye on his redemption tour following the whole Taylor Swift fiasco, locked himself away in Hawaii for a year, called in his favourites and the best artists at the time and held everyone to an elite standard. The rules were simple, you didn’t bring you’re A-game, you weren’t getting on the album. And in the end, what we got was a masterpiece. Kanye says a lot on this album and touches on a great number of topics many of which he doesn't get enough credit for, especially considering how vulnerable and explicit he is in his lyrics throughout this album. To try and put it simply, MBDTF was a musical experiment, and a true masterpiece which stretched hip-hop far further than I think anyone could have reasonably imagined. I mean when an album possess Cyhi's verse on "So Appalled", Gil Scott-Heron's poetry to close it out on "Who Will Survive in America" and the outer body experience that is Mike Dean's guitar solo on "Devil in a New Dress". This album is flawless from head to toe. Every feature was top-tier, there’s not a single skippable song, it’s an extremely eclectic project yet nothing feels out of place. It truly marks an artist at his greatest, a revolutionary album, a revolutionary moment for a revolutionary time. Greatest of the past ten years. The greatest of all time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sue Me, I'm Rooting for Everybody That's Black"

“We Learned to Our Amazement the Untold Tale of Scandal”

“Over a Decade & Never Nobody’s Favorite”