"You Rather be More Famous than Rich"

I'm not even 23 years old, and already I feel like the new generation of hip-hop artists are too young for me to really get into and enjoy. Barring a few exceptions, the quality of rapping is generally bad, and what's more with these new rappers it genuinely feels like every other week a new artists is in jail, involved a very serious altercation or doing some dumbshit all over social media.
With that, it becomes entirely too difficult to parse out the talented artists from the whack ones and parse out the ones with common sense from the ones raised by wolves. What's worse, is that it appears the ones considered to be talented in the new generation, were also simultaneously raised by wolves.
Why do I say this?
Well, for the past week, which in all honesty, has felt like an eternity & that's not due to the quarantine, my social media platform have been providing me with almost daily updates on the life and times of an NBA Youngboy and the tragic and quite frankly sad story he's been involved in with Floyd Mayweather's daughter (forgive me, I don’t know the woman’s name).
Now I'm not gonna speak on the situation, cause that’s not for me to speak on with me limited knowledge. But I am going get into how stupid this all is for Hip-hop. I don't know any NBA songs, but by all accounts, he's done well for himself and is one of the highest viewed artists on Youtube. But this look, combined with all the other times I heard this man's name, none of which have been for good reasons, suggests to me that this isn't someone who takes this art form serious. Now this critique isn’t just leveled at him but an array of artists who have come up in recent years.
Hip-hop and Black music in general has always been viewed as taboo by wider white society. The older generation look for any and every excuse to condemn the art form and the people who make it. And thus, use every one of these negative stories as fuel for their rage and anti-black agenda. While the younger generation...well to quote a famous poet "These white kids love that you don't give a fuck, 'Cause that's exactly what's expected when your skin black". They live for this type of nonsense so they can fuel their deep-seated fetish to be black. And being caught up in this much nonsense, routinely only assists these two sides in their own personal agendas
It doesn't help the game, it doesn't help the culture and in the long run, it doesn't help the artists. To me, it seems like all these younger guys view the game, and playing it this way, as a get rich quick scheme. But they eventually get caught up in their own hype and the central goal becomes to get clout and get more clicks on social media.
To quote another famous poet in speaking about some artists "you rather be more famous than rich". Which is funny, cause all the best rappers and the richest rappers are the ones who are never seen, heard or spoken about on social media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sue Me, I'm Rooting for Everybody That's Black"

"I Rock, I Roll, I Bloom, I Grow"

“We Learned to Our Amazement the Untold Tale of Scandal”