The Curious Case of Sir Robert Bryson Hall II


https://www.pinterest.com/pin/452330356318580201/
Okay, let's get it out in the open right now. 
So, spoiler alert, breaking news, full disclosure...

Yes, I am a Logic Fan.
Controversial. Yes, I know. We can get into that later.

So as someone who respects Logic's craft, ability and musical resume; I continually find myself blown away by the disconnect between him and a lot of fans within the world of hip-hop.

What's even more perplexing is to my eye it's unknown what we chalk this up to. Logic isn't someone who has just jumped to super-stardom over night. No. He has an extensive catalogue which dates back to his time as the rapper "Psychological" (I wasn't a fan back then). But since his re-brand to the rapper we know now he's done nothing but deliver. Now I will admit, his two 2019 releases - "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" & "Supermarket" respectively - were both extremely underwhelming. Like honestly they were trash. And I do not recommened that anyone bother listening to them. However, his discography dating back to the 2014 Album "Under Pressure" displays an extremely diverse, eclectic and impressive body of work. One which many artists would be proud to call their own.

Further, throughout this portion of his career Logic has showcased an extremely wide range of skills and abilities on the mic. He has a gift for story-telling which, objectively speaking, few in the game can match. He possesses clever wordplay, witty punchlines (admittedly some of these are MAD corny, but punchlines nonetheless). And he has been able to showcase all of this whilst simultaneously crafting his songs and verses with a wide and impressive range of content and social commentary.

So why the disconnect?

It's even more perplexing when it appears that by all accounts Logic's peers in the rap game respect his ability and respect his art. On this front, the facts speak for themselves. Since 2014 alone Logic has features with artists such as; J. Cole, Pusha T, Royce da 5'9, Chuck D, Ghostface Killah, Childish Gambino, Big Sean, 2 Chainz, Killer Mike and Gucci Mane; just to name a few. Whats more is these artists seem to give Logic some of their best work and vice versa, because many of these features are stellar. Furthermore, on these tracks, some of these artists have taken the opportunity to voice their own discontent and confusion at some of the disrespect which is leveled at Logic by the wider hip-hop community. J. Cole's feature on the song "AfircAryaN" at the climax of Logic's 3rd album "Everybody" stands out as one which addresses this very issue. That being said, I do understand how the music business works and I fully appreciate the concept of, if you can pay for a feature, you get a feature. I get that, I do. But when you look at the names listed above, they're not the type of artists who make songs with anyone willing to cut a cheque. And when you consider the content of many of those songs, I'm even more emboldened in my position that these features were not done solely because money changed hands.

So if those in the game respect him, why don't the fans?

Now, personally I've heard a number of explanations for why Logic just doesn't hit with everybody. The one I hear most is that he's just corny, which may be true, but them can't the same be said of Schoolboy Q, Chance the Rapper even to an extent the late Mac Miller? And those rappers don't face the same level of discontent and disconnect which Logic faces. Further in an age where new rappers are experimenting with new styles differing from the norm and disrespecting Hip-hop's greats - both those dead & alive - is it not refreshing to see someone who's come up in the last 5 years pay ultimate respect and homage to the greats?

Yet still the disrespect continues.

To my eye, it is abundantly clear that much of the hate which befalls Logic is a consequence of his white passing appearance. And I just question that logic (no pun intended). Now me, I'm definitely not one to tell people how to feel towards a certain person or artist, we are all free to think however we so choose and listen to whomever we so please. My question is simply are we still judging people on the music? Cause if not, I didn't get the memo.
https://visionarymusicgroup.tumblr.com/post/143499239890/amp



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sue Me, I'm Rooting for Everybody That's Black"

“We Learned to Our Amazement the Untold Tale of Scandal”

“Over a Decade & Never Nobody’s Favorite”