All-Decade Second Team:


My Favourite Female R&B Albums of the Decade:
Following on from last week's list I felt it only right to go back an explore my some of my favourite albums from my second favourite genre R&B. Now since last weeks list was void of any women I wanted to take this time to give credit to the female voices I've been rocking with throughout this decade.

Similar to last week, I chose to only allow 1 album per artist. And again similar to last week, this is my favourite albums. I am by no means commenting objectively on which projects are the best.


#10
Album:                                    A Seat at the Table
Artist:                                      Solange
Year:                                        2016
Favourite Song:                     Cranes in the Sky
Description:
I’m kicking off this week’s list with arguably the best overall album on this list. ‘A Seat at the Table’, was a needed album and a needed conversation and it came right on time. This album, similar to a great number of the succeeding albums on this list did an amazing job of combining and meshing a number of genres together to construct a quite beautiful album. Mixing traditional and new age R&B with elements of Funk, Soul and Jazz in a way that just sounds so good on the ears. And my favourite song on this album ‘Cranes in the Sky’, is a perfect example of this. The song-writing and story-telling on display in this song alone are outstanding and it highlights just how superb Solange and this album are.



#9
Album:                                    H.E.R.
Artist:                                      H.E.R.
Year:                                        2017
Favourite Song:                     Best Part
Description:
Before first listening to this album I remember hearing a lot of hype surrounding this women and a I was hearing a lot of noise about how good this tape was. And upon listening, it didn’t take me longer than 5 songs to realize why. This woman is insanely multi-talented, and SO, so many of those talents are showcased on this album. Whether it be vocally, in her song-writing, through her instrumentation or just musically, everything H.E.R does on this album screams talent. This is some of my favourite type of R&B, because its both musical and vulnerable. It feels experimental but also feels like the work of a seasoned vet. What’s abundantly clear in listening to this album, is that you’re listening to the birthing of a superstar. And when you sit back a realize that H.E.R has 10 Grammy nominations and two wins by the age of 22, its very clear she’s well on her way, if she hasn’t already reached that superstardom.

#8
Album:                                    Lost & Found
Artist:                                      Jorja Smith
Year:                                        2018
Favourite Song:                     Goodbyes
Description:
Vibe. Vibe. Vibe.
This album is a vibe. It’s a really smooth and enjoyable listen. Jorja sits in her simple, gentle and soft tone pocket so well on all of these tracks. And despite the variations in songs which this album features Jorja’s vocal talent in that pocket shines all the way through. What I like about this album is the manner in which it combines Soul, Jazz and R&B so easily. I’ve picked ‘Goodbyes’ as my favourite song, but truthfully that could so easily also be ‘Blue Lights’, ‘Tomorrow’, or ‘Lifeboats’. Which just speaks to how high-quality this album truly is. All in all, this is a really relaxing and cohesive album. It’s beautifully arranged with each song flowing sweetly into the next and ultimately, its just a pleasing album to listen to. And I’m eagerly anticipating where she takes her next project.

#7
Album:                                    4
Artist:                                      Beyoncé
Year:                                        2011
Favourite Song:                     I Miss You
Description:
This was a very tough conclusion to come to. Similar to “4 Your Eyez Only” and J. Cole in last week’s post, I was legitimately debating between three Queen B albums which all could have been on this list. So, in deciding, I had to go back and listen to each in turn before coming this conclusion. I sided with “4” over both “Beyoncé” & “Lemonade” because I believe it has the elements that I love in both those albums and meshes them. “Beyoncé” is an extremely fun album to listen to from any perspective to you look at it, as the Queen put it herself in an interview, she was on there talking shit. And I feel like “4” has many of those same traits through songs like, ‘Love on Top’, ‘Party’ & ‘Countdown’. On the other hand, by that same token, Lemonade is more message driven where the song-writing and story-telling take center-stage. Much as it does on songs such as ‘1+1’, ‘I Was Here’ & ‘I Care’ on “4”. Thus, when I put this altogether, I had to side with the oldest sister of the group.  Ultimately, any of these three albums could have a place on this list and truthfully, I’m just using this spot to wax lyrical about Beyoncé and the greatness she exuded in all facets, throughout the past 10 years.


#6
Album:                                    -Ugh, Those Feels Again
Artist:                                      Snoh Aalegra
Year:                                        2019
Favourite Song:                     You
Description:
This is a beautiful album. From top to bottom. This is just beautiful. If I had to describe this album in one word, I’d choose ‘passionate’. Because that’s what this tape exudes at all times. Passion. I don’t know if Snoh has the best vocals in the world, but maybe bar Jhene Aiko, she probably has my favourite vocals in the world and they’re put on display beautifully here. There’s not a single point on this album which dips below the impeccable standard Snoh sets at the jump. There’s no let up from minute 1 through to minute 40, it’s consistently brilliant. There’s a story being told in every moment and every sound on this album, even down to the groans that she lets out on ‘Toronto’. I can’t really say more, because I’m honestly still in awe of how amazing this project is. Just know I’m gonna be front and center on April 22nd, and no one should bother me when I start hitting those high notes.

#5
Album:                                    Anti
Artist:                                      Rihanna
Year:                                        2016
Favourite Song:                     Same Ol’ Mistakes
Description:
Y’ all remember when that Fenty lady used to do music? And when she used to be really good at it? Like insanely good? Man, what a time. A great mix between ballads and hits, Anti was a combination of Rihanna taking what she had always done supremely well throughout her career, and mixing it with a lot of daring new wrinkles to her artistry. All of which amalgamated into a classic for anyone presently between the ages of 18-25, and one of the undisputed albums of the decade. Furthermore, dropping January 28th, 2016, Anti set an impeccably high standard and was a great way to kick off the momentous year in music which was 2016. That Fenty Lady produced an extremely broad and wide-ranging album with a lot of different sounds and a large array of diverse content. The fact that as I write this, I’m just learning that Anti has become the first album by a black woman to spend 200 weeks on the Billboard 200, speaks to the level of greatness which this album exudes. I’ve accepted that unless she’s bored and has nothing to do that Fenty woman is never making another album again, and if that is the case what an amazing culmination to an amazing career.

P.S. Big credit to PARTYNEXTDOOR for a lot of the writing on this album which is absolutely stellar.

#4
Album:                                    Shea Butter Baby
Artist:                                      Ari Lennox
Year:                                        2019
Favourite Song:                     Whipped Cream
Description:
Soul Soul Soul. Ari started off this album by telling all the niggas, to get the fuck out, and by the end of the album I understood why. More than being a classic (yeah, I said it) soul album. This was a Black Women Empowerment album. Ari Lennox was unapologetically Ari Lennox from the start to the end and it was this quality that made this album standout. What’s even more impressive is how personal Ari made this album. I loved how she masterfully utilized her skits to allow her personality to shine. It really adds a unique feel to the album which builds on the job which her already great writing had started. What’s more, this is an album with songs for all occasions. Its authentic, feel-good and ultimately its just special. And it didn’t take long for that to become abundantly clear.

#3
Album:                                    CTRL.
Artist:                                      SZA
Year:                                        2017
Favourite Song:                     20 Something
Description:
I was so happy when this album dropped. This album was scheduled for 2015. It was delayed nearly two whole years (as seems to be the trend for TDE). And despite all of that SZA didn’t disappoint. SZA killed this shit and everyone knew it from the jump. In keeping with the overarching theme of this list, the writing on this album was so impeccable. Sonically, this was just a pleasing album to hear, it was just great to listen to this album musically, which I think is a really understated trait in a lot of music. SZA was her typical raw self. She was unfiltered, unabated and brutally honest. What I love about this album is the beautiful way in which SZA blended vulnerability and empowerment within her music. I love seeing artists fulfill their potential in the way SZA did with CTRL. And I loved every second of this album. My only issue is just like everyone else’s the song ‘Wavy’ is way too short, but knowing him as an artist I have no doubt that was all James Fauntleroy’s fault.

#2
Album:                                    Souled Out (Deluxe)
Artist:                                      Jhene Aiko
Year:                                        2014
Favourite Song:                     Blue Dream
Description:
9 out of 10 people reading this blog right now, guessed this would be on the list. And you probably guessed it would be this high up. I remember reading somewhere that a commentator described this as an album to overthink to, and I’ve truly never heard anything more accurate. But at the same time, its also the perfect album for those times you just need to take second an allow your mind the space to breath. For me, this album has become my meditation album. When I get home and I just need to unwind and disconnect my first thought is most likely to reach for this album. Jhene in almost all her projects has an incredibly simple formula which she doesn’t tend to stray from and said formula is on full display here in all its greatness. Undoubtedly my favourite album from the new PBR&B/neo-soul/sleepy R&B genre which developed this decade. Jhene was as Jhene as it gets on this album. Slightly toxic, but supremely soulful.

#1
Album:                                    Love Me Back
Artist:                                      Jazmine Sullivan
Year:                                        2010
Favourite Song:                     Excuse Me
Description:
This whole list has featured amazing women, who produced amazing works of art. But this one sits atop of the pack. It possess elements of each of the previously listed albums and at times does the things that makes those albums great, better than they do. One of my favourite artists across all genres was at her best here. Jazmine’s AMAZING vocal range was on full display throughout this album. However, she didn’t solely rely upon this to carry her. The story-telling on this project can be put against any other women on this list and further, could probably rival the skill level of most rappers, which to me is a sensational feat and skill in the context of R&B. Through the writing on this album Jazmine Sullivan creates a soulful melodrama which to me stands above anything else I’ve heard in this genre this decade. This project has a near perfect hit to ballad ratio, and Jazmine shines bright throughout all of it. And any album that has me hitting high-notes I have no business even considering attempting, is doing something right.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sue Me, I'm Rooting for Everybody That's Black"

“We Learned to Our Amazement the Untold Tale of Scandal”

“Over a Decade & Never Nobody’s Favorite”